Saturday, October 6, 2007

Da's My Titta

One night in Portland, two women walk into a bar...

"I didn't mess with the Tittas."

Excuse me?

Say hello to Ty and Nat, a lovely young married couple from southern Oregon, and my new connection to a world of Hawaiian-Polynesian slang. I was introduced to them by one of my PDX crew, Yolandar.

I may not have the right to say it because I can't even spell it, but I think I'm in love with the "Titta".

It's one of those words which burst from the teeth with affable enthusiasm, despite any negative connotation derived from the original definition.

As I understand it, 'Titta' is equivalent to a Polynesian Amazon. Like "Brick House" playing over footage of a strong broad-shouldered, black-haired woman in a mu mu. Yeah baby, work that pu pu.

You're supposed to say it only if you're already one of the gang, but I don't subscribe to exclusionary linguistics. I'll make my own definition -

All of my beautiful, strong, supportive sisters:
You my Tittas.

No comments: