Tuesday, March 4, 2008

Soundtrack to a Lovely Evening

I stumbled across this while crawling through the 6 Degrees of StalkerSpace (via Starshine of Bellevue, WA); the beauty of it brings to mind of a lot of good memories.

Picture SoCal in summer, after dark, circled lawn chairs on someone's patio or in a driveway, speaker in the window, occasional wafts of the grill cooling off. The music turns soulful sweet, and everyone runs out of conversation at the same time. Backdrop to stereo, the life sounds of neighbors, traffic, and (in my neck of suburbia) the symphony of little frogs in the damp washouts hum on. For a few minutes, all seems perfection; when the feeling lasts until dawn, it certainly is.

Remember when?:

Lyrics & Music by God Made Flesh (Jenni Wildflower) [Copyright, TM, R, etc. legal stuff]





"Negro Spiritual"

Michael when you gonna get outta that boat
Michael when you gonna learn how to float
Michael when you gonna be my swan
Michael when we gonna see a new dawn

Michael I exhausted wanting for one touch
this fasting and this praying's gone on long enough
If you an angel you should listen to God's daughter
If you a messenger come trouble these waters

Come to me I'll be your miracle
I will pervade your body like a Negro Spiritual

Michael you the one who tossed about
by every wind of doctrine blowing about
Michael you're not being careful can't you see
Michael you need to turn and look at me
Look at me

Michael why you listen what men say
you take their words to heart you digging your own grave
Michael you more than just another king
Michael you an everlasting thing

Come to me I'll be your miracle
I will pervade your body like a Negro Spiritual

--Michael don't you go and do no violence to your soul
you know you shouldn't hurt something that old--

Michael I just a stone out on the road
You shake the firmament you get the story told
I loved you once and now what's done is done
Michael in the end the kingdom come come come

to you it be your miracle it will pervade your body
like a Negro Spiritual Come to me I'll be your miracle
I will pervade your body like a Negro Spiritual


Sleep tight, pretties.

No comments: